Saturday 10 August 2013

Woolly Munich Adventures

Today I visited the wonderful Wollmeise just outside of Munich with some lovely ladies that I've met at an English speaking knitting group here. Wollmeise is amazing! All of the wool is hand dyed with the most beautiful, vibrant colours - I was in wool heaven!


It was so difficult choosing which wool to buy - and anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm completely useless at making any decisions at all. During this past week I've been trying to decide which pattern to do next so that I could buy wool accordingly - I decided on a cowl, as, by the time I finish my current project, it'll probably be winter. So with much deliberation, I decided on Cassis DK (for the cowl) which is a variegated red and purple, some lovely green DK (Oh Tannenbaum) and a little skein of a semi-solid grey (Maus jung).  I'm not sure what I'll do with the green or grey yet, but I couldn't resist them. I was rather restrained though, originally I had about 10 skeins in my bag!



My Lauriel cardigan is finally a go! It took forever to find the right wool, but I finally settled on Artesano DK Brazil, which is so soft and squidgy!  So far I've done the yolk and started the shaping between the yoke and underarms (1 and a bit balls used so far :) ). I'm loving it, but progress is slow as I never seem to have time to knit except at the knitting group.


As you may have guessed, I'm currently living in Munich (or rather a Munich suburb). I'm doing a research internship in the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics (basically I play with really high powered and scary lasers!). I've been here for a month and a bit now and am loving it. moving to Germany has been a bit of an experience and a challenge, but I'll talk about the fun of living in a new country another day.


V x

I'm listening to: British Sea Power, Johnny Flynn and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

2 comments:

  1. you're living in Germany! The wool looks great and there's so much of it D: hope Germany is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great shop! My great aunt is a keen (English) knitter living in Munich, no idea if she is a member of any groups but that would be a small world indeed if you met her ;) Her name is Margaret and she is the speediest knitter I have ever laid eyes on - once she knitted a whole sleeve in sock-weight yarn in an evening. Madness! Hope you have a wonderful summer xx

    ReplyDelete